The columns of the grid show:
Show fragmented indexes from all databases or a selected database on the SQL Server.
Minimum Page Count
Show indexes with at least this number of pages.
The name of the Index.
The name of the database the table is in.
The owner of the table the index is associated with.
The name of the table the index is associated with.
The type of index.
The index is stored in one or more partitions. Where the index is stored in one partition the Partition Number is 1. For an index with multiple partitions the first Partition Number is 1.
The percentage of this index (partition) that is fragmented.
The number of pages in the index (partition).
Using the Fragmented Indexes grid
The data for this grid is collected once a day and stored in the Playback Database.
Collection criteria definitions
The criteria by which data is collected (Defaults are set by Configure Defragmentation Check):
- Top (most) fragmented indexes
- Database name
- Minimum Size - 10MB = 1280 pages
- Minimum operations - minimum number of either scan or update operations
How to customize the schedule and criteria for the default collection
To customize the collection schedule for the default collection, use the Spotlight Client. Click Configure | Scheduling select the connection and customize the Fragmentation by Index schedule.
To customize the criteria used to collect the data, use the Spotlight Client. Click Configure | Defragmentation Collection. See Configure Defragmentation Check.
How to defragment selected indexes
- Select one or more indexes to defragment and click Generate Defragmentation Script.
- Use CTRL+click or SHIFT+click to select multiple indexes.
- Use CTRL+A to select all indexes.
- Click outside the grid to clear all selections.
- Use SQL Server Management Studio to schedule a job to run this script during a quiet period.